Sunday 26 January 2014

No Sweeter Words

"There are no sweeter words than this - nothing lasts forever."

Have you ever heard this quote? Does anyone know the source of it? Google wasn't too helpful, it mostly gave me links to fanfiction written by some angsty teenagers. A necessary right of passage, perhaps :). 

Every now and then I find myself reflecting on the concept of permanence. On the sweetness and simultaneous pain when things are only temporary. I think its an inevitable point of reflection when you are an expat. I think this blog will hold some points of reflection based on this. It will center around our ministry, but there is a point of difference for Elijah and I - he ministers in his backyard. But part of this deal for me is that I am inevitably away from 'home.'

The key source of this reflection is that my Mum left yesterday after a wonderful four week visit. It was an amazingly blessed time, and I am so lucky to have a mother who is so supportive of me living halfway across the globe. It's not easy for my tight-knit family, but she believes in what I'm doing. But, goodbyes are always sad, and a stark reminder that nothing lasts forever. 

I'm also reflecting because it's Australia Day, and I'm not there right now to partake in the rowdy BBQs and giant inflatable thongs with the Australian flag printed on it that seem to be a mark of celebration. Being an expat can be marked by missing things. In the last year or so I've missed my Poppa's death and funeral, my cousin's wedding (and new baby!), my sister's engagement.

But then I posted something on facebook about Australia Day, and so many of the 'likes' were from Aussies living aboard, including my best friend in Scotland (Hi, Chez:). And I felt part of a larger expat community.

Don't get me wrong - I love my life. You will see so much of the richness of living elsewhere chronicled here. But today is an honest account of the other side of being an expat, the people and places you miss.

Even life here doesn't last forever - I'm an alien, a stranger. But I don't agree with the quote I started this post with. Sure, nothing lasts forever on this earth. But:-

I think the greatest sweetness lies in knowing that heaven lasts forever. 


Mine and Mum's farewell selfie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment